Wednesday 22 June 2011

The Wasp Jar

I was thinking the other day about how, in the 70's and 80's, if we were eating outside in the summer, we would be pestered by wasps. My parents' remedy was to half fill a jam jar with honey and water, put the lid on and punch two holes in the lid. I don't blame my parents, this was normal. The wasps, attracted by the honey, would find their way into the jar. Once inside, they would be unable to get out, and would inevitably drown. With complete detachment, we would watch them struggling and dying.

Nowadays, I hardly ever see so many wasps, which is presumably yet another symptom of our destruction of the planet. And it seems unimaginable that anyone would set out to kill such a large number of wasps, or anything else, knowing how threatened almost every species is. Anyway, I could not now watch a wasp drown. How cruel we were when we thought it was all endless.

No comments:

Post a Comment